Friday, November 25, 2011

Giving Thanks

I have not celebrated a Canadian Thanksgiving since I left six years ago; nearly every year I intend to go out and do the necessary shopping and find all the ingredients to make a big feast for my friends and every year I forget when our Thanksgiving is. Maybe because I don't see the constant advertisements for it on TV or the decorations in all the stores but for one reason or another it slips my mind and the year passes without any giving of thanks.  However, in the past 4 years on 2 occasions my American brethren have invited me to their version of Thanksgiving; of course theirs is quite strange coming late in November and on a Thursday but I digress.  The first US Thanksgiving I went to abroad was in Prague with my fellow TEFLers and it was a truly fantastic night for me. Adam both cooked his amazing creamy, bacon, chicken balls and provided the entertainment with a very impressive martial arts display, Justin provided some amazing dishes, my lovely roommate Karen impressed all with her drinking abilities (Irish car bombs), and Danielle was able to serenade us with her shockingly good Cher impression. It was a great evening for me and something to look back on with fondness.
Last night was my second American Turkey Day and while it didn't live up to the first it was still the best night I have had in the kingdom. It was nice to be surrounded by a good group of people who have all come together from all the place to get together and share stories while sharing a meal. On days like that it's easy to let the day to day problems and headaches melt away. Of course we miss our family and friends back home and the places we have left behind but with a new group of friends around us we somehow maintain our connection to the past.
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me out over the past year, which has been rather difficult and life-changing, thanks to all those that read the blog and offer their support, and to all those that keep in touch and remind me how lucky I am.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see the Americans are keeping you full of Turkey! I'm grateful to know you, Ian.

    ReplyDelete